Cavium Showcases Next-Generation 5G Radio Access and Core Networks, Telco Cloud and Edge Infrastructure Solutions at Mobile World Congress 2018
OCTEON®, OCTEON Fusion–M® and ThunderX2® SoCs accelerate intelligent networks from the core to the edge
SAN JOSE, CA, and BARCELONA, SPAIN February 26, 2018 – Cavium™, Inc., a leading provider of semiconductor products that enable secure and intelligent processing for enterprise, data center, and wired and wireless networking, will showcase a number of technologies incorporating the company’s award winning OCTEON, OCTEON Fusion–M, OCTEON TX™ and ThunderX2 SoCs at Mobile World Congress 2018. The conference will start on Monday February 26 and run through Thursday March 1, 2018, in Barcelona, Spain.
Cavium will present its vision for next-generation 5G Radio Access Networks, FWA and IoT deployments, SDN core networks, and telco cloud and edge infrastructure solutions. The company’s MWC presence will include several networking demonstrations and will highlight its key contributions to industry associations, such as the Telecom Infra Project’s (TIP) OpenCellular program and the Open Network Foundation’s CORD program.
“Cavium is well aware that there is not a “one-size-fits-all” 5G NR deployment model,” said Raj Singh, Vice President and General Manager of Cavium’s Network and Communications Group. “Instead different operators will have different approaches. Some will be incremental and co-exist with LTE, some will focus on specific use cases such as fixed wireless access. Others will incorporate split RAN architectures and core network virtualization. Whichever approach an operator decides to implement, Cavium has the technology to make it work.”
Cavium will host visitors and present live demonstrations in Hall 2, booth number 2M61. The following technologies will be covered:
- 5G NR solutions – next generation OCTEON Fusion-M and OCTEON TX silicon for basestations and remote radio heads, new 3GPP protocol stack split implementations, massive MIMO capabilities.
- Fixed Wireless Access base stations - live demonstration featuring an OEM–designed 3–sector eNodeB incorporating a single CNF73xx processor running LTE software based on Cavium’s L1–L3 stack.
- ONF M–CORD IoT use case - SDN, NFV, C–RAN and MEC live demonstration featuring a pre–5G IoT use case running on the ONF–defined open source M–CORD platform. This proof of concept (POC) demonstration features the following Cavium silicon and software implementations:
- Distributed Unit (DU) – OCTEON Fusion–M based intelligent radio head running Cavium’s implementation of 3GPP fronthaul split options 2 and 5 LTE PHY.
- Central Unit (CU) – ThunderX2 baseband implementation running Cavium’s implementation of 3GPP fronthaul split options 2 and 5 LTE stack software.
- Core Network – ThunderX2 servers hosting a vEPC, ONF XOS orchestration software and ONOS-controlled XPliant® programmable SDN switch fabric.
- Production Version of the Telecom Infra Project Connect - LTE Base station
- Announced in 2016, the Telecom Infra Project (TIP) Connect–LTE base station design is now ready for the first round of field trials. This live demonstration features a commercial prototype Connect–LTE eNodeB featuring the OCTEON Fusion–M CNF7130 baseband processor and Cavium’s TIP–contributed LTE stack software. The demonstration also includes an OCTEON TX–based edge server running a vEPC and open source edge applications providing content caching, firewall and media server functions.
- Universal CPE
- Live demonstration of OCTEON TX ARMv8-based uCPE white box with commercial NFV applications.
Other Cavium-enabled networking demonstrations will be present at the Conference, including:
- Virtualized Mobile Core Network – a complete end-to-end containerized mobile network with live traffic on commercial UEs, will be shown in the ARM booth (Hall 6 Stand 6E30)
Network Slicing – end-to-end network slicing running Netsia’s ProgRAN on M-CORD. Orchestrated by ONAP and delivered through XPliant P4-enabled switches with OCTEON Fusion-M remote radio units. This demonstration can be found at the Open Networking Foundation booth in Hall 5 number 5I61 and the Netsia booth in Hall 1 number 1C40.
For more information on Cavium’s products or to schedule a meeting with Cavium at MWC 2018, please contact your local sales account manager or Lilly Ly (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please enter Meeting Request at MWC 2018 in the subject line.
Cavium, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAVM) offers a broad portfolio of infrastructure solutions for compute, security, storage, switching, connectivity, and baseband processing. Cavium’s highly integrated multi-core SoC products deliver software compatible solutions across low to high performance points enabling secure and intelligent functionality in Enterprise, Data Center and Service Provider Equipment. Cavium processors and solutions are supported by an extensive ecosystem of operating systems, tools, application stacks, hardware-reference designs, and other products. Cavium is headquartered in San Jose, CA with design centers in California, Massachusetts, India, Israel, China, and Taiwan. For more information about the Company, please visit: http://www.cavium.com/.
Sr. Marketing Communications Manager
Telephone: +1 408-943-7417